“Taking that first step to help yourself may be hard. It is important to realize that, although it may take some time, you can get better with treatment.”
To help yourself:
- Talk to your doctor about treatment options and stick with treatment
- Try to maintain a stable schedule of meals and sleep times
- Engage in mild activity or exercise to help reduce stress
- Set realistic goals for yourself
- Break up large tasks into small ones, set some priorities, and do what you can, as you can
- Try to spend time with other people and confide in a trusted friend or family member
- Tell others about events or situations that may trigger symptoms
- Expect your symptoms to improve gradually, not immediately
- Identify and seek out comforting situations, places, and people
- Continue to educate yourself about this disorder.”
From the NIMH.
Looks like I have some work to do! Even if I’m not full-blown BPD, I have enough borderline traits that, as a good friend said today, something needs to happen. Something has to change, because without getting myself together I’m changing my whole life for the worse. By doing nothing I’m doing everything. Time to take an active role in getting my life back to where I love it.